Click Here to do or review the activity.
Focus Questions: How does osmosis affect the concentration of different substances in the blood? Why is important to maintain homeostasis in the blood?
Assignment: Make a claim as to what is happening to the patients’ cells in the case of diabetics and Jennifer Strange. Use evidence from the egg model, your POGIL activity, and internet research to support your claim. Also, answer the bolded questions you find within the prompt. Provide reasoning to support your claim and evidence.
- People with diabetes tend to suffer from extreme thirst and frequent urination. These symptoms are signs that the body is not in homeostasis. How is the body trying to regulate its blood sugar levels?
- Jennifer Strange died from hyponatremia after drinking extreme amounts of water without eliminating urine. What is hyponatremia and how does it relate to Strange’s symptoms?
Use some of the following vocabulary in your answer: hypotonic, hypertonic, isotonic, concentrated, dilute, solute, solvent, osmosis, and diffuse/diffusion.
Check Schoology for the rubric and assignments as well.
Here’s a link to some vocab that will be helpful while writing your responses: https://quizlet.com/_2xzbby
Here are the practice problems we worked on: Osmosis_worksheet
For the copy of the P O G I L, that we also completed, go to the schoology site.
Link to the What do cells do? simulation: click here
Go to schoology for a printable worksheet for the activity.
Answer the four questions below in your notebook based on the PBS video: Why does evolution matter now?
- Why is the Russian prison system considered to be “ground zero” in the fight against TB?
- What is responsible for the evolution of TB strains that are resistant to multiple drugs?
- How does the misuse of antibiotics affect the evolution of disease-causing bacteria? Use the theory of natural selection to explain the growing resistance to antibiotics
- Why should we care about a resistant strain of TB in Russia?
Here is the link to the video on the Rock Pocket Mouse: